Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Time for a new outlook

As I sit here sucking down on this smoothie and quickly realizing that M&M's don't go well with Mango, I'm also realizing that my blog posts so far have been pretty "sad and lonely ish". With this thought in mind I was scrolling through Twitter when I came across a quote that has stuck with me most of the day today. "Never let people get to you. They can only pull the trigger if you hand them the gun." To me it seems that lately I've been "handing to gun" to a lot of people.

Now I'm one of those types of people that tend to run my life off of quotes. I use them for inspiration, motivation, pick-me-ups, laughs and so much more. My room is plastered with a few that I've found over the past months since I've moved to college and I write an inspirational quote on the white board outside my dorm room almost everyday. It's amazing how the power of words can do so much to elevate someone's mood as well as bring it down. Although, it seems like it always takes more to bring us up and one word can ruin our entire day.

Now, back to this original quote. Lately I've been in one of those "woe is me" moods. You know the type. Can't seems to find any good in your own life, everyone else seems to have it better than you, you can't seem to find that perfect significant other, or you do and they don't even knowledge your existence.  Yet, what is all of this? It's all handing the gun over to someone else.

I was recently reading an email from a fitness guru that I subscribe to and he was siting an article saying that once people reach their late 40's and early 50's is when they actually start to be the happiest they have ever been. Now why is this? It's because of the simple fact that they learn to shrug off the small stuff and basically stop handing people the gun. It seems that people in their younger years worry too often about what others are thinking and really stress themselves out over it. I totally agree. I've ranted and raved in my past posts about not being able to find the right boy and yadda yadda yadda. Well here's the issue with that; before I can let anyone else into my life and really accept them I need to learn how to accept myself. I need to be able to keep my own gun and hold it tight.

So in a way I think I'm going to make a personal pledge today that I will do my best to keep a hold of my own gun. I'm going to stop letting others have such control over my feelings. It's time for me to be happy with me and realize that I'm strong enough by myself and I don't need anyone to validate that by expressing feelings towards me.

Carpe diem!

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment