Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's All in the Eyes

"The eyes are the window to your soul"

One of my middle school teachers told us that. Lately I've found that it is so true. There's just something about someones eyes that can explain so much. At one single glace you can see so many emotions. Happiness, anger, sadness, hate, and love. All can be expressed through these two small things.

I've been spending a lot of time looking deeply into peoples eyes lately. Once you get past the awkward glances you get from people once they figure out what you're doing you can really learn a lot about someone.

The most recent example I can think of the illustrate my point is what happened last night. If you've been keeping up you know I had a date with Lee planned. I spent a lot of time examining his eyes, trying to figure out what he was feeling as the evening moved a long.

At the beginning of the even it was hard to tell, and then we were trapped in a dark movie theater for a few hours so there wasn't much I could see of his eyes. After the movie we went out for sushi. While we were eating Lee got some great news in an email I could see the surprise and happiness in his eyes immediately.

After sushi we ended up at some party and again I was focused on his eyes. They were happy, but anytime they glanced over at me they changed. See I didn't know anyone here and when I don't know anyone I can become the shy little wallflower that doesn't say much. every time Lee had a chance to look at me his eyes would give me the silent question of "Are you ok? Do you want to leave?" I would always do my best to shoot back an answer of "I'm fine. Stop worrying." and flash the cutest smile I own.

Once we were done with our socializing it was time to take Lee home and call it a night. Here comes the twist of events. My phone rings during the short drive back to Lee's apartment. it's a number I don't have in my phone so I'm pretty confused as to who would be calling me at 12:30 on a Wednesday night.

I answered and right after the "Hi" comes across I knew immediately who it was. Lance. I was dumbstruck. I never thought I would hear this boys voice again. It's been almost 4 months since I last heard it. I quickly informed him that I was driving and had to drop someone off and said I'd call him back in about 5 mins.

I hung up and just couldn't speak. Then I came back to reality and remembered Lee was in the car. "Ummmmm, that was my ex.." was all I managed to spurt out.

"How did things end between you two?" was Lee's question. I gave him a quick run-down of what happened between the two of us. This was when his eyes changed again. They weren't looking at me with that happiness they had before. They had changed. This time time a very somber, almost sad tone. I could see the genuine concern in his eyes as I told him what had happened between us. Once my story was done we chatted about our evening and said a quick goodbye.

"So you're going to call him back?" Lee said. "well yeah" was what I got out. "Don't let him trick you. I know who exes can be." With that Lee got out of the car. before he closed the door he bent back down and looked at me with some of the most caring eyes I have ever seen. "Well, let me know how it goes... just out of curiosity." Then he was gone.

I left and called Lance back, but I couldn't get that image of Lee out of my mind. Just more proof to me that they eyes truly are the windows to your soul.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment