Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Battle of the Cling

I think we've all had those moments in our lives where we take a look back and say, "What the hell is wrong with me?" Now there are a lot of times in life when this statement can happen, but I'm particularity speaking to the one of being clingy.

Clingy. It seems to be an issue with everyone, but the even bigger issue is that everyone has a different definition of clingy. Some people say talking once a day is too much, some say constant communication is what they need, others are fine with once every other day. Whatever your definition of clingy it seems to be one of those things that can drive a person insane.

The other issue is it seems as though everyone is always worried about being the clingy one. Being the one who tries to talk to much or wants to hang out too much. It seems to be that the one who is more interested is always the clingy one as well. I find truth in this from my own experience. it seems that the ones who are always extremely interested in me are the ones I find the most clingy, especially if I'm not as interested. Yet, when I find someone who I happen to be highly interested in I end up spending copious amounts of time worrying that I'm being too clingy, that I'm texting too much. Many times it sends me in to shear panic and I feel as though I revert back to middle school.

I honestly hate what I do at times. I feel so immature, but I've seen so many people play the same games. It takes them 20 mins to text you back? Well, I'll wait 40 this time. I texted you an hour ago, you tweet 20 mins later. Pure anger. It makes me feel crazy! Why do I play such childish games with myself over something so minuscule as a text message?

What I would be interested in knowing is if things were the same before text messaging and social media. How were things handled? It seems like this day in age it is so easy to become a Stage 5 Psycho Clinger, which undoubtedly ends a lot of relationships before they even have a chance to begin. iPhone's are making things even worse with iMessages. Now thanks to that little message at the bottom saying "Delivered" or "Seen" we can clearly tell when we're being ignored. Thanks for that one Apple.

It seems awkward but I think that one of the first stages of any relationship should be a conversation about what to expect communication wise.

Anyway... I'm tired... and done ranting.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment